Sunday, January 4, 2009

Tastes like Aix-en-Provence

In August during my travels, while lost, I was shocked to find exceedingly expensive tins of Hedley's tea (I believe it's a Canadian brand) at Big Lots for $2/tin. This would usually retail for $8-$10, so I stocked up on many flavors; so many that I haven't gotten around to trying them all. Some of you may be familiar with my cabinet/drawer/shelves of tea and the fact that there's always more, and it's often growing more quickly than I can drink it, even with dedicated assistance.

For a caffeine-soft start to my day I brewed a cup of blackcurrant (cassis) tea. Cassis is a common flavor in France, but I don't often find it here. So as I sit with the internet and sip, it tastes like France all over again.

The kitchen with its cluttered miniature fridge, doomed-to-failure gas stove, and the European map on which we planned our grand travels. The tiny wicker-top stools and the mountains of dishes in the sink. Sitting on my foam-mattress-bed/couch in the living room around the hookah with everyone, tea doctored with cream and sugar.

It tastes like a chilly and painful year in Aix-en-Provence in a way that is nostalgically delicious.

1 comment:

hernan said...

Salut Lapinnete!!!

Where are you?? dissapired from the web??

Are you ok???

Kisses!!!