Thursday, December 3, 2009

Contagious much? Leaving the right in its own dust.

Andrew Sullivan of The Atlantic has also declared his departure from the conventional right as it is practiced in politics today.


"But there has to come a point at which a movement or party so abandons core principles or degenerates into such a rhetorical septic system that you have to take a stand. It seems to me that now is a critical time for more people whose principles lie broadly on the center-right to do so - against the conservative degeneracy in front of us."

He then presents a manifesto that floored me, that precisely articulated the heart of why I am so frustrated with what I read, see, and listen to from the mainstream media. I do not, and will not say that 'leftist', alternative, or liberal media does not have its failings. It most certainly does, and I am happy to discuss/analyze/critique them. At issue rather is the bankruptcy facing the religious right, the conservatives, the rotten core of the Republican party.

Among other gems is this: "I cannot support a movement which has no real respect for the institutions of government and is prepared to use any tactic and any means to fight political warfare rather than conduct a political conversation."

No comments: